Today I have disassembled three battery modules out of a BMW i3 battery pack.
In total I will mount three modules which will sum up to 7.9kWh. This should give a range of about 150 - 250km.
After unmounting the modules I directly started modifying the sense cabling to adapt it to a different battery management system. I have finished the first today. In the next few days I will probably finish the other two
Here I will show you a little part of the CityEL project. It is a digital speedometer, which gets it's data over CAN bus from the battery management system.
The speedometer is based on a BananaPro embedded ARM board which is based on a pretty powerful Allwinner A20. Currently the graphics are rendered by software rendering, but it is planned to use the OpenGL ES capable graphics unit to render it. This should speed up the rendering from 10fps to about 30-40fps.
In the background there is a thread which stores all measured values to a database to use the data for a scientific cell model. Maybe I will use this model to calculate the SoC (State of Charge) and SoH (State of Health) of the cells in the future.
Prior starting the project, I have shot some images of the CityEL to show you the state before. I try to document every step with at least some images.
I have unmounted the roof, as I will mount a new one. It is too complicated to repair the roof. I would need to glue the polycarbonate with a special glue which would be visible. So I have chosen a glas fiber reinforced roof manufactured in the Czech Republic.
I have started working on an additional project. It is all about a battery electric vehicle, specifically a CityEL built 1991.
I've finished painting the fenders and the front grill of the Daily.
Dismantled the front of the Iveco Daily today to prepare the exchange of the timing belt.
I'm currently working on my Iveco Daily camper van.
Actually I'm painting the underbody of the car with rust inhibitor and colored paint (RAL 1002 / Sandgelb / Sand yellow). Next step will be the same for the upper body, but with another color (RAL 6003 / Olivgruen / Olive green).
Working on the OpenSubnotebook. Currently creating the interface for the display.
I am currently moving my server from a Debian based Xen virtual machine to a virtual machine with dedicated CPU, RAM and harddisc. Gentoo is already installed, HTTPS is working, but there's still a lot to be done. Sometimes in the next few weeks everything will be up and running.
The system has the following dedicated hardware:
4* Intel XEON cores 18 GiB RAM 500 GiB HDD 50MBit guaranteed bandwidth (500MBit peak)
I've overthrown the selected EOMA68 cpu module for my laptop and I am currently designing something completely own/new. The new system will be completely modular, which means that any part of the hardware (except for the body) will be exchangeable. I will plan the whole system and put anything under some Creative Commons license.